Many adults invest in orthodontic treatment to strengthen their teeth and improve their bite. There are various reasons why patients may choose to pursue therapy as an adult rather than as a child. Some adults may have believed orthodontics are for children and that it’s too late for them to undergo treatment, but later found this is not true! It’s never too late to improve your smile with adult orthodontics.
Other reasons for pursuing treatment later in life may include personal or professional reasons. If you are an adult considering orthodontic care, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment at Smile Orthodontics, for a consultation to discuss treatment options.
Reasons for Adult Orthodontic Treatment
- Misaligned teeth
- Missing or severely damaged teeth due to an accident, injury, or infection
- Teeth that appear too small or too large for the face
- Difficulty chewing or speaking clearly due to a misaligned jaw
- Facial pain or discomfort that is exacerbated by tooth misalignment
- Tooth discoloration due to poor oral hygiene habits
- Uneven gum line or gummy smiles
- Jaws that are out of alignment, which may cause difficulty sleeping or other health concerns
- Excessive wear or damage to teeth resulting from teeth grinding at night
- Premature loss of baby teeth or extraction of permanent teeth that prevent the proper eruption of adult teeth
- Jaws that don’t meet adequately when the patient bites down, which may result in the front teeth protruding forward
- One or more missing teeth that may cause other teeth to shift out of place or as a replacement of the absent tooth
- Crowded teeth that require removal to make space for proper eruption of the adult teeth
The Benefits of Adult Orthodontics
Improved Oral Health
Getting braces as an adult can benefit your oral and overall health in several ways. First, correcting misalignment improves or eliminates problems with eating and speaking. You may also experience less stress when biting and chewing. Plus, straight teeth tend to be easier to clean and keep free of tooth decay and gum disease.
You may feel more self-confident in your personal life and career with a healthy smile. Improving your smile with adult braces can enhance your appearance and boost your overall self-esteem. You may feel happier with your appearance and can better express your feelings through words. Many patients also find that when their smiles look better, they feel more empowered.
Better Self-Care Habits
Also, improved oral hygiene can improve your life in other ways. When teeth are crooked, it can affect your bite and make it more difficult to brush and clean your teeth properly. Plus, you may develop issues with bruxism and other habits that can negatively affect your oral health.
Properly aligned teeth make it easier to take care of your pearly whites and help you keep other health problems at bay. Visit Smile Orthodontics at 530 39th St, Des Moines 50312, or call (515) 274-4637 for the best dental care. You can also visit our other location at 105 Valley West Dr, West Des Moines 50265, or call (515) 225-9245.